Remember those huge Jayhawk statues that have made appearances in Lawrence and parts of KC over the years? Ever wonder where they disappeared to? They are in a variety of locations. Here's what we know: In a 2008 newspaper article we found a list of the known locations for most of the statues. Emily Alderdice, a local 1st grader, thought we needed an updated list, and underwent a thorough investigation to uncover the many Jayhawks on Parade in the Lawrence area. Here is her list of Jayhawks on Parade. A big, huge thank you to Emily!!!
1. Lions and Tigers and Hawks, Oh My! - Hilltop Child Development Center, 1605 Irving Hill
2. Mardi Gras on the Kaw Hawk - at the Lied Center of Kansas, 1600 Stewart Drive.
3. So Many Faces, But One Heart that Bleeds Crimson and Blue - lobby of KU Visitor Center,15th and Iowa St.
4. Merhawk on the Kaw - privately owned
5. Bit o' Hawk - Owned by Jayhawk Bookstore, in storage because of a broken leg.
6. Mascot Miro - privately owned
7. Classic Jayhawk - Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. (a replica of the damaged original)
8. Whoosh! - on second floor of KU Alumni Association, 1266 Oread Ave.
9. Peacock on Parade - no longer in the lobby of Mar Lan Construction, 1008 N.H.
10. Gogh Hawks Gogh - most recently at KLWN, 3125 W. Sixth St., but is no longer in public after being vandalized.
11. Abstr-hawk-tion - at Community Living Opportunities, 2113 Del.
12. John Brown Hawk - Lawrence Journal World News Center
13. Uncle Sam Hawk - Lawrence Service Center on I-70.
14. Hot Hawk - in the 800 block of Vermont Street.
15. Doc Hawk - inside the NE entrance of the Lawrence Medical Plaza, 1112 W. 6th St.
16. Peace, Love and Daisy Hill Forever - Douglas County Bank on Bob Billings Pkwy
17. The Kansan - reportedly destroyed by vandals
18. Chip Off the Old Hawk - privately owned
19. A Hawk With a View - outside Cottonwood Inc., 2801 W. 31st St
20. Shamrock Hawk - Lawrence Automotive Diagnostics, 2858 Four Wheel Drive
21. Patchwork Hawk - between fields at Westwick Rugby Complex, County Rd 458
22. Heroic Hawk - once at leasing office at Ironwood Court, 1501 George Williams Way
23. Rock Chalk Jayhawk Kubism - once inside bldg at 10901 Granada Lane, Overland Park
24. Jayhawk as a Cow on Parade - privately owned
25. Primary Hawk - privately owned
26. We Are All Stars - Lawrence Visitor Information Center, 402 N. Second St.
27. Hawk of the Arts - privately owned
28. Holy Hawk - privately owned
29. Puttin' on the Glitz - privately owned
30. Marvelous Mosaic - privately owned