How did Allen Fieldhouse get its name?
In early December 1954, the University Daily Kansan printed paper ballots so that the students could decide to name the school's new basketball arena after either Phog Allen or James Naismith. In a landslide, Allen received 924 votes to only 10 for Naismith. As it turned out, the school board had already decided upon the name "Allen Field House" in October 1954 but was waiting for the dedication of the building in March 1955 to announce their decision.
Max Vosburgh, 2009-11